The Myth – You can give 110% or work hard all the time and motivational speakers can help you get there! Far from the truth…we are all human and we need to work within those parameters. It’s about maximizing our “up” time.
Move Cagnetta! I say it every morning to get out of bed. My wife laughs and sometime preempts the statement herself. The fact is, I don’t want to get out of bed, work out, shower, put on a suit, and go to work. I’m tired, would rather relax and take the day off and stay in bed.
But I don’t! Why?
Because, I believe that success and getting what you want in life can happen with an incrementally small amount of extra hard effort performed strategically, when you can, and at the appropriate moment. I know what you’re thinking…. What does he mean by that???? Simply, work really hard when you can, at the right time, and make sure it counts!
Here are a few tips:
1. Work really hard when you can – You can’t always give 110%. I get tired just listening to motivational speakers. At the end of the day, we are all human. We need to rest, we like to relax. Plus there are legit excuses why you may not be able to perform. Sickness, weather, holidays etc. Therefore you don’t have 365 days to work. Hence, you must work hard when you are able!
2. Know how to work hard – Being a hard worker includes being a doer, problem solver and someone who will roll up their sleeves. Learn to be self motivated and always willing to get the job done. Be the first and last one there on a job/task.
3. Know your stuff – You must be educated and know your craft. Practice and study makes you ready to rock when you get opportunities in life. Your opportunity to be great must not be left to “faking it”.
4. Timing is everything – When the spotlight is on you, the gold ring in reach, the pot at the end of the rainbow, and when you have the energy…you need to CRANK IT UP! Work extra hard, be scrappy, energetic, and accomplish your goals.
5. Be a top performer – Most people are unmotivated, asleep at the wheel, in a rut, or unchallenged due to the fact they feel their dreams are no longer in reach. Therefore if you believe otherwise, you can easily outwork and outperform others! Trust me, it doesn’t take much to show greatness among the general population of slackers.
6. Be consistent and reliable – Many people fail to complete what they started. If you follow up, persevere and get tasks done almost 100% of the time, you will shine! Consistency is often better than being the fastest or the most prolific.
7. Be strategic – Know what your goals are and where the finish line is. Work on what matters most, perhaps what makes the most profit or moves the needle toward your goals. Prioritize and make your efforts count.
So at the end of the day, Just Move! Do it! Get it done! Get it done right! Understand you must work hard when you are able, and you will be leaps and bounds ahead of the pack! Don’t worry about being awesome 100% of the time, that is impossible and a motivational speaker myth. Just be awesome when it counts and when you are needed the most!
Andy Cagnetta owns and operates Transworld Business Advisors. He joined the company as a sales associate and later purchased it. Transworld is an international franchise business and franchise brokerage, with thousands of businesses for sale and franchisees in the United States and Internationally.